auto paint forum

Jul 29th, 2014, 1:39am

Registering only takes a minute!
Due to spammers, guests can no longer post.

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Buy Auto Paint Online and Save!

How To: Color Sand and Buff
How To: Find Your Paint Code
How To: Spray Can Touchup
Making a Tri-Coat Blend (pearl)

Auto Painting Forum
   Auto Paint
   General Painting Discussion
(Moderator: )
   2 tone paint job?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2 tone paint job?  (Read 42121 times)
majoker14
YaBB Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

2 tone paint job?
« on: Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, i want to start a 2tone pain job, im new to all this but i have a really good genr. idea on how to go about this, i was reading and people told me about a lip happens when the 2 color finish and start, does anyone know how to avoid/ blend the colors so that the lip is almost not noticeable ??

thanks for any input
IP Logged
majoker14
YaBB Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: 2 tone paint job?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24th, 2008, 11:36am »

come on anyone know how to do a 2tone paint job, just trying to see how its done, or maybe a know a good site that can teach that??
IP Logged
maddoggy71
YaBB Full Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2008, 11:38am »

I been at car shows checking out custom paint jobs... and there is always evidence of the paint transition. A few were better than others. I think the real radical paint jobs are airbrushed... and they look good.

Regardless, they always looks good from 5 feet away... so I don't think it's as critical as you think.

1) You have to use special tape for paint lines
2) You have to remove the tape while the paint is still wet so it flows and won't stay "raised up"
3) I always heard to put the light color on first

Where I'm confused is:
a) Do you bc/cc the whole car for 1st color... and then put single stage paint for 2nd color
b) Or bc color #1, bc color #2, and clearcoat everything. Cause I thought you have to put the clearcoat on quickly... and I don't see this possible.

Another trick is to have a 3rd color be a stripe going down the transition line.  Like was done on the '78 Corvette pace car and other C3 two-tone paint.

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2008, 11:40am by maddoggy71 » IP Logged
majoker14
YaBB Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2008, 5:51pm »

wow hey man u make some good points, by any chance do you know the name of that special tape? and that kinda sucks that u will see a line but then again ima do my own job and i aint no pro, but i will have to do more research before i even get my feet wet with this project, know any good places for me to start looking, websites, posts mag, anything like that, appreciates the info so far man
IP Logged
countilaw
YaBB Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 2:26am »

I have painted many a car two tone, or with stripes with no transition line between the colors.    

Best way to explain it is to bury the paint in clear coat.   Then color sand the ridge until it's no longer there.    

This car is painted green with yellow stripes.  The yellow is outlined 1/4 inch stripe with Ford Performa
nce blue.  The graphics are all painted on.   You can not feel any lines between the different colors  

Frank

IP Logged

It's the foundation that makes the paint shine !!

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j29/countilaw/Cox%20Custom%20Cars/?start=all
majoker14
YaBB Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 8:26pm »

wow well thats exciting information, is there a possible way that i can talk to you some more to get more details on this, im new at all this and i dont wana pay someone not cuz im cheap but just because i want to learn how to do this, and what a better way then doing it on your car lol, um maybe by email?or by phone if you dont mind, or even just posting details on this forum.

But basically what i want to know more in detail is the fallowing

1. " Best way to explain it is to bury the paint in clear coat. " - just keep adding clear coat ontop of the 2 paints?

2." Then color sand the ridge until it's no longer there. " - whats color sanding, and the ridge is the little lip thats left over by the 2 paints from where they meet right?

also i know you have to a use a special tape for a two tone color job, do you know the name of that tape??

sorry for all these questions, rather ask them and prevent major mistakes  Grin  , but thanks for reading and any info provided from anyone
IP Logged
countilaw
YaBB Senior Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2008, 1:34am »

Tape:   There are  two types of tape for this kind of job.     3M Fineline   Blue and Green.  

Blue for turns and Green for long straight lines.  

One trick is to paint your lightest colors first if at all possible.   Working to your darkest colors.  

However, in the above example,  I had to start with the blue.    I  wanted a blue pin stripe between the green and yellow colors.   So the first thing was to apply the blue paint in all the areas that the pin stripe was going to laid down.    

Then I used 1/4 inch  3M Fineline tape to mask where the pin stripe would be.  

Then I sprayed the yellow everywhere the yellow areas would be.     I let the paint set and cure until the next day.   I then masked all the areas that I wanted yellow and applied the green.    

As soon as the green flashed,  I removed the masking and the 3M Fineline tape.  

Now the entire car was painted with base coat and I let this gas off until the next day.  

The next day I applied 3 medium coats of a high solids clear and let that cure until the next day.   Now I was ready to lay my graphics templets and air brushed the graphics in white.   I removed the templets as soon as possible,  the slow curing paint flowed a little at the edges.   This tends to take the edge of the lines.   As soon as the white had flashed,  I applied 3 coats of clear over the graphics.  

Two days later,  a started color sanding the clear to level it all out.  

If you look at the picture of the hood,  you can see the reflection of the sky lights going across the three colors.   The reflection is not broken, when means it a smooth continous surface.  

It's not hard to do,  but takes a lot of time and lots of extra work.   But the end result is amazing.   Everytime someone looks at the car, they run their fingers over the stripe and comment about there being no ridge.    

IP Logged

majoker14
YaBB Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28th, 2008, 4:51pm »

nice explaining, heres a pic of what i want to do, now i made this in a video game but its the same car, same look and everything, now my question is this, how do i get the green/ blue tape on the side of the car where the 2tone starts to be a perfect line? do u need a tool or maybe some tips u can share?? but this is what it will look like at the end...(hopefully lol)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/cupitycakes/f8e9daef-21db-45ba-b6 dc-ceb97516886.jpg

and

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/cupitycakes/9181f970-654a-4d2e-b7 28-960cb169de4.jpg

thanks again for ur advice   Wink
IP Logged
countilaw
YaBB Senior Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 1:46am »

I would take 3m 233+  that  3/4 inch wide tape and lay a guide down the lenght of the car.    The 3/4 inch wide tape will run a pretty straight line.  

Other than that,   you just have to eye ball it and keep working it until you get it straight.  

Frank
IP Logged

majoker14
YaBB Junior Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 6:13pm »

Hey thanks man for all your help, im going to start sanding down my bumpers n fenders this week and hopefully be done with the entire car by next week, then hopefully slap on body filler, but thanks for all ur help man, the advice you provided was great, will post up soon before-mid-and after shots of my car so u can see how its coming along, but again thanks for ur support.

- Irvin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »